Blog Archive

Friday 25 January 2008

Back Home



After a week in the UK, I have a whole new appreciation for my adopted home-city.

Landing in Luton airport with 'Heat'-reading, 'Stayce'-shouting, chip-munching, sour faced, rain-wet Brits was just the beginning of six days of being reminded how just about everything seems to be better in Berlin.

Without sounding negative (and that is hard), I'll be living in house opposite a massive Tesco's next year. On a small University campus in the middle of nowhere. Where the nearest city is Coventry.

So it was with utter delight that I arrived back in Brandenburg, where the early evening light shimmers on Spree river, the wind whistles in my hair (okay, I nearly fell off my bike today because of the SERIOUSLY aggressive wind) and I can visit places like Schloss Charlottenburg (pictures) and another cheap fifth row Opera experience.

Tomorrow will provide more sight-seeing as it is the 'Long Night of the Museums' - where many are open until 2am.

Party in the Renaissance portrait gallery!

1 comment:

Toto said...

It was good to see you too ;-) Enjoy your life in Berlin, part 2. I was impressed by my friend Caz the other day, when I thought she was live-interpreting German - instead, she just read the English translation the line underneath. Whilst you're there, read some Dürrenmatt, even though he's not German. Take care!