Blog Archive

Wednesday 31 October 2007

Trick or Treat?

The following tickled me immensely today.

Hurry! Closing Down Sale! Up to 70% Off!

Then, at the bottom of the window – and painstakingly updated every day,

64 Days To Go!

Who says these Germans don’t enjoy a good laugh!

Elsewhere, as I was walking to pick up my newly acquired ‘Complete Works Of Shakespeare’ (20 euros - bargain!) I met a variety of monsters, ghouls and witches – all not very much taller than my knee.

The difference between trick or treating here and back home is that here, anywhere with a door is game. You aren’t confined to neighbours and acquaintances, but you can go to shops as well! I witnessed many a shoe shop being stormed by a walking pumpkin.

I feel for the owner of a sweetshop – he must be losing all profit made over the last month by being forced to give so much away.

Unless, and this would be so fitting for a country where shops seem to open when they feel like it, he closed early.

No comments: