Blog Archive

Saturday 6 October 2007

First Few Days In Berlin

Berlin is absolutely amazing - I am constantly questioning whether I
am cool enough to live here. Unless you're dressed up as a pirate,
into 'minimal techno' or create conceptual art, it seems that you are
abnormal here.

So far my favourite thing about Berlin is the the fact that everyone
shouts 'fuck the police', yet they all politely wait to cross the
road until the traffic lights are green. Me being a general busy-body,
I always cross as soon as the traffic is clear, drawing general looks
of shock and disgust from elderly ladies and green-haired punks alike.

What I'm loving - mandel hoernchen (marzipan-filled pastry in the shape of a horse-shoe, and dipped in chocolate), finding a beautiful room with views over the centre of berlin and a roof terrace, staying with wonderful friends until I move to my place on Wednesday

What I'm not loving - my macbook's battery deciding it wants to end its life and german bureaucracy

My address is Auerstrasse 18, 10249, Berlin - for those inspired to write postcards!

Bis bald!

Casper

1 comment:

Kristiāna said...

Ha ha... Foreigner...

If you haven't already been caught by now, the reason people wait for the green man is because the police fine you for crossing without him.

There are also many plain clothed police in Berlin so you can't really get away with 'checking first'...

Good luck!

k