Blog Archive

Friday 16 May 2008

Last Day

Today is my last day of a three-month internship for BILD.de.

It has been a very mixed experience. I have learnt a tremendous amount about the web 2.0 world (the future of the internet), found a host of new blogs which I am following, and realised some hard lessons about my own working style.

Although I did sometimes struggle with working for a tabloid that many see as xenophobic, homophobic and sexist (a lot of my friends were deeply surprised that I of all people would work for such a company), but then again, it has taught me much.

The way teams function, the role of management - but more than anything - that I am an utterly hopeless employee if I'm not passionate about something. And that corporate life is not for me.

This was made all the more obvious when I found out about my voyage to the Arctic. With such an exciting, important experience coming up - my mind was totally focused on how I was going to use it to combat climate change - and I found doing research projects about navigation systems on newspaper websites a real struggle!

I'm glad I've had this experience, and I think I've managed to bring something to my colleagues and bosses (a little bit of laughter at least!), but I am also glad that its over.

I can now move forward, knowing what I want to do - and figuring out how I'm going to do it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your description xenophobic, homophobic and sexist for the newspaper with the four big letter-name