Blog Archive

Wednesday 2 April 2008

Summertime...and the livin' is easy

It finally feels like summer is here.

Because of the leap through time this weekend and huddles of wooden tables appearing outside café’s it really seems like winter is over. And about time. The novelty of arriving at work looking like a snowman and drying myself with toilet paper wore off pretty quickly after the second time - all because there were strikes on trams, busses, u-bahn, s-bahn, trains AND airport workers.*

It is great to see the city changing around me. After a short Easter holiday, I returned to find the Dom with multiple gold globes adorning the four corners – and the central cross is being reinstated this week.

It’s significant because during the Soviet era, all crosses were taken off churches to reduce the cities’ overt symbols of religiosity. Ironically, with the building of the famous TV tower, and the way the sun reflects on the central sphere at sunrise and sunset, a golden cross appears on the tallest of all the East’s buildings! (I learned that on a walking tour. Where I pretended to be a tourist. Which I'm not.)

* that’s not to say that I need an airport to get to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.