Blog Archive

Saturday 10 November 2007

Snow


On my way up to my apartment on the 4½ floor, I try to trick my brain into not thinking about the walk – meaning that I hardly notice my tired legs and general sweatiness. Having mastered times tables last week (8 is trickier than you think!), and concluded that trying to sing chromatic scales whilst carrying my bags and the post was not going to work, I am now trying to recount countries and capitals. Yemen anyone?

I spent today in the German History Museum (needless to stay, too big to do in one day) with an English friend who was told twice by the same over-attentive museum guard to keep her small bag in front of her, because otherwise she would bump into the various old coins, maps and portraits of Luther (all of which are kept safe in glass cases, away from aggressive tourists). This attitude of the Germans is so hilarious, I struggle to hide my laughter every time, and end up fake coughing to over compensate or something.

We also did some novelty folk dancing when our audio guide played historical music, I couldn’t tell if the same guard was worried, confused or shocked, but amused she definitely wasn’t.

I came outside, found my bike, only to realise the white layer on my saddle was snow! The ride home was freezing and very wet. At least four months of that, I’m told. Suddenly the U-Bahn sounds like a good idea again.

No comments: