Blog Archive

Tuesday 23 October 2007

Knuckling the desks - a German lecture

The first time it happened I thought it was some kind of small earthquake, or at least a student revolution - as at the end of a lecture everyone wraps their knuckles violently onto the desk. I'm still working out if its a form of thanks, or that everyone has lost their pencils and is simultaneously looking for them.

This is just one of the many exciting encounters I had today, as this week is the first week of lectures. Seminar sizes are at least 30, and most of the students seem to be grey/balding/sitting at the front and commenting on every three words the professor says.

I nodded off, twice during the ‘City Planning in Medieval Europe’ lecture, while the only thing that kept me awake during the ‘Aliens in Literature and Science’ seminar (which I ended up in because I thought it was something else) was because I practiced my autograph 300 times.

The one class I take outside the Technical University is 'Art and Architecture in Renaissance Italy' where I feel at home amongst all the other non-engineers. I take pleasure in noting that I am no longer wearing the skinniest jeans and am decidly mainstream once more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha cas
als ingenieur die filosofiecolleges volgt aan de universiteit van amsterdam, zit ik precies in jouw tegenovergestelde belevingswereld. geen analytische beta-studenten om me heen, maar wollige arnon grunberg (bekende nederlandse schrijver) lookalikes die elke pauze aangrijpen om indruk te maken op de docent.
ik geniet van de input over plato, aristoteles en co, zonder dat ik hoef te stressen over tentamens. want ik doe het toch lekker alleen voor mezelf!
berlijn moet heerlijk zijn. mocht je binnenkort weer eens in NL zijn, kom langs op mijn nieuwe adres! liefs merijn

Kristiāna said...

"Skinny jeans" and "Mainstream"...

You make me remember a time when Kristina and I went to Sunday breakfast with Bjorn and his gay friend Karoline. We were at breakfast and commenting how Berlin was supposed to be, like, the gay capital of Europe but there didn't seem to be any gay people..

Karoline was all, "ARE YOU SERIOUS!?! Friedrichstain is the lesbian area, what are you talking about?!?" to which we replied, "Really?!?! But we haven't seen one lesbian... There are only men in the suburb..."

We were told to look again.

How wrong we had been...

k